Saturday, January 02, 2010

I LOVE KK

I am AT HOME in KK. I moved to KL in 1997 to pursue my degree. I have lived here ever since, minus about a year and a half after graduating (before I decided that I wanted to marry my then boyfriend) when I worked for a local consultant. KL is no where close to developing that sense of HOME in me. It probably never will. I don't hate it, I just don't love it. Sorry KLians! I am so AT HOME at home. It's a feeling I have always had. A feeling most people have about their hometowns I guess. And with things and feelings that are always with you, they tend to become immune to you, as in you forget about them. Until of course something happens to remind you of them.


Like just the other day. I met up with Sel, Mel and Yo for coffee. It took absolutely no planning and hardly any thought. I just felt like a coffee and some time with friends. So I send a mass (if I can call it that) sms, receive 3 positive replies and voila, under half an hour later, 4 old friends are together in and Olde Kopitiam. Because Nila can't do without her mama, I had to wear her on me and Sel was designated driver. A message came in my E71 and Ms. Driver said she'd leave in 5 minutes. 10 minutes later, Sel was outside my house, ringing on my doorbell. She (had the time and energy) to come down and have a short chat with my parents, say hello to Elil before we set off. It just amazed me how simple it was to meet up, to hang out, to do anything really. A coffee date like that in KL would require so much planning.


First, I'd have to find someone to hang out with! Of course this has nothing to do with the city itself but more of my lack of skill in making new and lasting friendships. Hahaha, so let's assume I find someone to hang out with, first we'd have to figure out 'when?' Said friend, "Let me check my calender...umm I'm free two weeks from Friday". Ok, so I got to wait two weeks! I might not even want coffee in two weeks!


Next, we'd have to figure a suitable 'time'. We'll need to avoid travelling during peak hours...that would be after 10am but before noon or before 5pm but after 8, IF were lucky. We'd also have to take parking space availability into consideration. Whatever! This is getting too complicated! Maybe i'll just have Bru Coffee alone at home?


You see we don't even have to get to 'where' yet. But let's go there anyway. Seeing as it takes a minimum of 30 minutes (assuming there is no jam) and 3 tolls for me to get to anywhere that's 'anywhere' hangout-able, somewhere in-between for everyone; I think i'll just stay at home and flip through my house magazines and get some inspiration for my future kitchen.


Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying its impossible. It's do-able but requires much effort, an amount of energy and quite a bit of stress. People do it all the time. With further distances, more tolls and unavoidable jams too. It's a way of life for some. A life considered good too. It just isn't for me. I have always been a small girl from a small town with a small town heart and I will probably always be. I've tasted both lives and I truly cherish my happy humble beginnings. With that being said, I am sure all who read this feel the exact same way about their 'humble beginnings' as well.

No comments: