Monday, February 11, 2008

Gong Xi Fa Cai - Happy year of the rat!

L - R: Elil, Daddy, Mummy
Hehe. Welcoming in the new year in my favorite colour. Red, red and red. We visited two families on the first day of Chinese New Year and that was about it. I still collect Ang Pow. On behalf of the little sweetie of course. Unfortunately I collect less than I have to give out. Actually, it feels good to give out. I spent the next few days just hanging with my two favorite people, managed to catch up with some recent movies, brought the angel swimming, spent some much needed quality time with the hubby. So that was it, my quiet and somewhat refreshing (for the most part) new year.

I have so been looking forward to seeing a lion dance but have been so out of luck. Its so quiet this year, there are hardly any fireworks. The few you hear are probably illegal and the guys burning them probably have the authorities at their doorstep collecting ang pow minutes later. What happend to the lion dance troops that used to come by the dozens to perform outside your house for a few minutes in exchange for a red packet? I miss the excitement and anticipation. And to imagine until I was about 10 or 11 I was freaked out by the noise from the beating drums and clanging cymbals. While my sisters, cousins and all the neighborhood kids ran into the streets at the very echo of a lion dance troop, I used to lock myself in the most secure room, furthest away from any windows or doors, plug my ears with cotton wool and cry. And cry. My heart would pound. And even after the lions were long gone, I could still hear the drums and cymbals resonate in my ears. Non-stop. It was haunting. I really hated it. Even hearing them on TV spooked me out. It was just the lingering noise though not the actual lion that got me all panicky. Until today, I am unable to explain why. I wonder if there are other people who were as distrubed by this as me....

No comments: