Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Antibiotics

Elil had her first real case of a fever over a week ago and it got me thinking. My first instinct was to bring her to the doctor even though I read that a fever below 39 degree C was not considered high (38-39 degree C is considered a low grade fever). I took her temperature and it was 38.5 degree C. So I did what most doctors would advise mummys of fevered babies to do. I gave Elil baby paracetemol, tried giving her more liquids to keep her hydrated and dabbed her forehead with a cold compress. A fever is our body's way of fighting off an infection and I read that we should allow it to take its course. Most fevers go down within a day or two. In the end, I did not bring Elil immediately to the doctor because nearly all doctor's would prescribe antibiotics which is one thing I am trying my best to avoid giving my infant. Instead, I waited and prayed and hoped the fever would go down. I was advised by an experienced nurse to change pediatrician if my current one prescribes antibiotics for a low grade fever. Antibiotics should be avoided whenever possible. They are used to cure only bacterial infections only. Antibiotics do not cure or help viral infections. Giving an infant antibiotics at an early age just increases a bacterias resistance to the medication.

Elil's fever went up and down for 2.5 days. By the third day her fever was at its highest. I couldn't take it anymore and brought her to the nearest pediatrician. Her temperature was 39 degree C and the doctor prescribed antibiotics. I brought Elil home and gave it to her and finished the course as instructed. I think about it today and I wonder if I made the right choice.

Some interesting comments from other concerned mothers here. To learn more about fever in children, visit this informative site.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis Testing done with Nerve conduction study,EMG,MRI,Blood and urine tests,Muscle biopsy and My primary care physician prescribed Riluzole (Rilutek)and Edaravone (Radicava) But Dr. Eric Ehle and Eric were concerned about the medication side effect due to my age so I was advised to use Dr Itua herbal medicine which one of his patient has purchase before using it to cure her herpes virus then I was hopeful because I truly believe in natural herbs than medicated drugs, I purchase Dr Itua herbal medicine and it got deliver to me within some days then I used it as prescribed since 2016 till 2021 now I'm totally free with no symptoms or side effect and I decided that I should have this opportunity to introduce to you my life saver Dr Itua herbal center who cures all such of human disease and infections example'' HIV,Parkinson,Herpes,Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,MS,Diabetes,Lupus,HPV,Hepatitis,Cancer and kidney disease. Contact Dr Itua herbal center on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com purchase his herbal medicine and be healed.