Monday, September 06, 2004

5-STAR konon!

My long awaited weekend (in a 5-star hotel) meant for relaxation and pampering turned into a nightmare. First, we arrived at the hotel at around 12:45 and were made to wait over 4 hours before we could check into our suite. Why? The 2 idiots staying there decided to extend their stay (in an already booked suite) without informing the hotel. The guests were not entirely to blame though because the staff of the supposedly 5 –star hotel did nothing to help us get checked-in. They did however feed us with lies about how it will take them 90 minutes to clean the room because they were under-staffed. My mom raised her voice and was close to tears before they actually decided to do something; they actually tried to contact the two imbeciles. Of course no one could get them. Meanwhile, my family and I were made to sit in the not-so-comfortable lobby without so much as a cold drink or even an apology. After close to 4 hours, the hotel staff offered a temporary room where we could rest before moving into our room. It was a bit too late but better than nothing. One whole day was wasted and my family and I were in the foulest of moods. We finally moved into our suite at around 17:30.

The next day, at around 16:00, the electricity supply in the entire hotel was cut off (must have been the strong winds and heavy rain because the whole of KK was affected). It took the maintenance team close to an hour to kick-start the standby genset and even then, it only lit up lights in certain corridors. All the rooms were in semi-darkness and we could not watch television. There was nothing to do outdoors because it was raining cats and dogs. We decided to have an early dinner (17:00) hoping that all will be well when we get back. Right after dinner, we went back home to check on Crazy Hazy and Tao the Mao the Bau. What crappy luck, someone tried to burglarize our home. My parents instantly decided that they would stay at home that night and that Meriel and I would stay in the hotel. We were so upset. Just when we thought things could not get any worse. My parents said they would hang out with us till around 23:00 and then they would have to leave. When we got back to the hotel, it was brightly lit (the power was back on). But upon entering our room and sliding the key-card into the slot, not a light came on. Fantastic! We called maintenance and after close to 30 minutes someone resembling Dennis Finch came in and then there was light, electricity, air-cond, tv, etc. Yay! I switch on the tv and no ASTRO, bummer! System down, hotel staff said. ASTRO came back at around 21:00.

I am being unfair. We did have fun some of the time. We spent Sunday afternoon in the pool playing on the water slide (my mom ‘tried’ the slide 3 times!) and on those buoy-string-buoy-string things that separate the lanes in the pool. I taught Meriel how to do the underwater rolley-polley. Again! My mom swam a few laps. My father attempted one. Meriel finished one slowly but surely. Good family fun. Also, Meriel and I had a bubblicious bath in the Jacuzzi. She made me Eskimo Woman and then Bubble Woman. I was covered head-to-toe in wonderful, glorious bubbles! Then she insisted that I do the same to her. We showed mummy and she couldn’t stop laughing. Later that night, after my parents had left, we watched Liberty Stands Still and then Evelyn on our ever so soft yet firm King-Size bed.

So, even though we had a few horrible experiences, I had a pretty good time in ‘Bleep’ Hotel. Really, it’s not WHERE you are, but WHO you are with that counts. I won’t be going back to that hotel any time soon Because of the bad experiences (lousy service, bad organization); I have decided that (when/if I get married), I will not consider having my wedding reception at this hotel. It is embarrassing and sad that one of the most popular (expensive and prestigious) hotels in our state cannot keep up with the standards that it claims to have with its 5-STARS.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sel:
yr sushi essay made me hungry. eating soft shell crab temaki requires too much skill. the seaweed paper sticks to mouth, lips, area around mouth too. and yeah, everyday no electricity when it rains, its like a weird test or a very unfunny game. :(