Thursday, September 23, 2004

MONSTER MOVIES

Anyone know of a fantastic movie (old/new) to watch? I really haven’t watched a great one recently. I watched ‘Evelyn’ (Pierce Brosnan) on HBO recently, which was pretty good. Monster, the one with Charlize Theron in it is decent. She really deserves an Oscar. Christina Ricci I don’t particularly like, but she did better than usual. The movie reminded me of Monster’s Ball. Sorry Halle but as much as I love you, I really didn’t see Oscar potential in your performance. These are the type of movies that even after it ends the (deflated-disturbing) feeling it plants in you lingers. Anyways, in ‘Monster’, there was a Ferris wheel called The Monster that Aileen (Theron) was always afraid of riding. She did one day, and threw up all over herself. She is monstrous in this movie, fugly too. A serial-killer-whore, that’s what she was. You can’t help but feel bad for her though knowing what a screwy life she had. Under the same circumstances, I can’t say for sure that I would turn out any better. You can’t help but empathize. The film made me angry and it made me sad. She had so much anger and hatred toward men. The only gentleness and care that she ever experienced was from a woman/girl (Christina Ricci) she met at a bar where she was having her last drink (she was going to end her life that night). Anyways, they had a 9-month affair that ended when Ricci (I forget her name in the movie) found out that Aileen had shot so many of her clients. It started with the violent men that tried to rape her. After that she found it so easy that she killed them all. Finally, the police caught up with her and Ricci betrayed her by testifying against her in court. This movie is based on a true story. It makes you feel like even though there is so much that is beautiful in this world we are always closer to the ugly things. 'I like mankind, it's people I dont like'-Gil Grissom, CSI. It goes something like that la. If I were a beauty queen, I would wish for world peace too. Cliché?

No comments: