Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Happy 50th Birthday Malaysia! Merdeka!

8 reasons why I 'love' being Malaysian:

1. Malaysians still do not give up their seats to pregnant women, the elderly, handicapped,etc. in public transportation even when there are signs to do so posted everywhere. Even after several ads are aired on tv telling people to do so. I know from first hand experience.

2. I was at the Ikea restaurant just the other day with Ots (during the members sale). It was lunch time so the place was packed. After several minutes looking for a place to sit, we finally find half a table. A table for four occupied by two. So I do the polite thing and asked the seated couple if the two seats next to them were occupied. They said no. So I waited a few seconds for the guy to move his shopping bag and the girl to move her handbag. They give me this hesitant look and the girl has the nerve to say, "Urm, our bags are here". I couldn't believe my ears. I just stand there stunned. Then I turn to Ot's and say real sarcastically, "I guess their bags are tired and need to sit". We walk off. It wasn't until later that I realized how terrible their action really was. I was standing there in front of them with Elil in my arms and Otta is 4 months pregnant! Holy cow!

3. Malaysians don't know how to queue properly. Restrooms. Why is it we can't have a single line so that people get to use the loo in proper turn? Why is it we still insist on having one line for each stall? It's just wrong. I must admit I am guilty of this too but only because if I did wait the proper way, I may never have the chance to use the loo.

4. A lot of the time our newspapers give us half-truths and most of us just take it all in. I just laugh.

5. We claim to be united. Are we really?

6. I have just about had enough of holding the world record for having the biggest flag, highest flag pole, biggest curry puff, etc. Whatever.

7. Government offices/departments. Enough said. I hear they have plans to improve their 'services with a smile'.

8. Our favorite (or only) pastime is jalan-jalan in a shopping mall (especially people in and around the KL area).

No comments: