Wednesday, April 30, 2008

20 April 2008: HPC Event


The nervous husband and proud wife

Two Sunday's ago I was at a HPC (High Performance Challenge) event at Sepang International Circuit. I was there to support my husband who was a participant. The event (held every quarter if I am not mistaken) is open to the public for a fee of RM200 on half the track. Those interested get a chance to really feel what its like to drive in an F1 circuit or race without fear of being caught by the cops for illegal racing or just show-off/brush-up their driving talents. I hear the price goes up every year and somehow the open track gets smaller. Apparently the prices started at RM80 per entry on the full track. This event isn't a competition although there is always a little rivalry among the drivers. The event was divided into two sessions, a morning and an afternoon. We took part in the morning session. My husband's initial plan was to take part in the afternoon session which was specifically for the classic as well as the new Mini's. He owns a 1978 Mini Clubman. Unfortunately, his speed demon was not in the right condition to be spinning its wheels on the track at the time. So instead he took part in the morning session with his SP. Both driver and car proved their talents and speed worthiness. They managed to keep up with and sometimes downright beat more canggih-ly modified cars. I won't get all technical here. As if i could. Kudos to my babe and his SP. One cool thing about this event is that each driver gets to bring one person along for the ride. Only rule is, anyone in the car must wear a helmet. I refused to tag along purely out of fear. But next time round, I will pick my courage off the floor and brave the speed.


The oh-so-important briefing

Some last minute engine checks. All in order.


Gentlemen, start your engines.



My hubby in action. Trailing a friend in the Satria.




No comments: