Monday, July 28, 2008

Elil Oh Elil

Elil's cough has not fully cured since she was last sick. She would cough on occassion during the day and have longer spells certain times during the night. This disturbs her sleep and sometimes wakes her up. It stresses me out to the max. Last Thursday night, her cough medication runs out. So on Friday hubs and I decide to bring her to see Dr. Chua. We describe to him heer symptoms. Apparently, she has 'sensitive airways' which if keeps reocurring after every infection could lead to the dreaded asthma. No! I knew he would say the A-word. I didn't want to her it, even though she didn't actually have it. There was still the possibility. I wanted to cry but I held back.

The doc gave us so much medicine, cough & phlegm, wheezing and 'asthmatic' cough. WTF. She doesn't wheeze. What is an 'asthmatic' cough? I am in a panic, the labels sound serious. I think hubs can sense the rising panic in his panicky wife and the next thing he says really calms me. " I really don't think its what the doctor says" he says. Yea, maybe its not. Maybe the cough will go away and never come back. There was never any wheezing. And most nights the cough doesn't even wake her up. As long as we give her the cough medication as prescribed. We decided against giving her the wheezing and 'asthmatic' cough medicine because frankly we don't think she needs it. Still I am uncertain, I don't know if this is the best way to go. It's just terrible giving her medication, she utterly despises it. Each session is torture not just for baby but for everyone around. Watching her struggle and cry as if in horrible pain. 3 medications x 3 times daily is just unbearable. Do you think we should be giving her ALL the medication?


I worry for her still. My heart is heavy. I pray for my little angel. I pray there is no reoccurrence and that she is 100% healed from this. My nights are uneasy. She has shown signs of improvement since taking the medicine but we really won't be at ease until she's back to normal. On a happier note, her appetite is good and she's as active and cheerful as ever.

No comments: