Wednesday, November 02, 2005

A Huge BOULDER Lifted Off My SHOULDER

Yesterday was Deepavali. I wished my future in-laws, "Deepawali Waltukal", correct pronounciation and all, I think. Hey, i tried my best. Anyways, I arrived at their 70s style, detached home at 10.40am. Received a luke-warm welcome from his father and brother. A somewhat chilly one from the mam. Not a great start. Breakfast was served. Tosei with chicken rendang and mutton curry. I was stuffed (truly) but chewed and swallowed every morsel on my plate. Didn't want to offend anyone so early in the morning. It was going to be a long day.
The hours went by. I offered my services where I could. Friends and relatives came and went. Lunch was massive. I had a lot of tid-bits in between too. I cant go on eating like this. Stole a shot of Bacardi/Whisky from my B now and then to calm my nerves. It didn't really help somehow. B introduced me to all his relatives as his girlfriend this year. Pressure. So many names, so many faces. So little time to remember them all. Aunty's and cousins made conversation. I wasnt sure if it was real chit-chat or interviews. They were nice enough and welcoming too. I was complimented on my fully-Indian attire, Punjabi Suit with 'potu' and all. The color of the suit was be fitting me.
Towards the end of the night as I was wishing relatives farewell, one cousin came up to me and asked me when B and I plan on getting married. He told me that he will see me next Deepavali when B and I are husband and wife. Yikes. I told him we havent fixed a date (or year for that matter). Another aunty (and her mother - a typical, old saree-clad Indian lady) brought me to one side and told me to make my B stop drinking. He had a different drink in hand the whole night. He was fine though. If they only knew that I was having shots of my own in secret. Ha ha. Also, I was told by the same aunty that I should learn their language so that I can speak to old ladies (i.e her mother). Tamil 101 here I come. A different aunty, who happens to be a convert insisted that I bring my B to church one of these days. I told her I cant force him. She told me to pray for him. She also asked me if I have a Christian name. I told her it's Ramona. 'This is better', she said. 'I will call you, Ramo'. Great, add a 'b' and i'm Rambo. The things we do for the people we love. Sigh.
I left having good vibes. So this, I think is good. The time was 11.25pm when I reached home. It would have been 11.10pm if I didn't miss the exit and end up in Puchong. Ha ha. Getting lost is a good way to familiarize with roads. I wished my colleagues a Happy Deepavali at 11.55pm. Just in time.

3 comments:

LonaDay said...

Hey Pu!

It sounds good. I am SO happy for you! This year sounds better than last, and hmm, it seems you got a couple of rellies on your side! I'd say that's a big YES!! I pray for you both also okay? Love ya!

driftingnomad said...

Yay... So good to hear that things went well and it IS amazing what you would do for someone you love *sigh* wish you all the best-mestest..keep up the blogging its the only way for us to keep in check of whats going on in everyones life.. :)

pu said...

Thanks. You guys the bestest!